On Thursday 4th July 2013, 18 year old Connor Sparrowhawk had an epilectic seizure and drowned in a bath at Slade House in Oxford. An external investigation said that Connor’s death was preventable.
The Care Quality Commission inspected the unit at Slade house and said that it did not meet the required standards. The unit is now closed to new patients. Here is an Easy Read version of what happened.
In October 2015 the jury at Connor’s Inquest concluded that his death was contributed to by neglect and very serious failings. Read the full jury findings here.
Here are some of the ways that My Life My Choice have helped the Justice for LB Campaign
- £250 donation to the campaign fund.
- A StingRadio “Connor special”.
- A campaign film (see above) attracting 10,000+ views. This is now part of an Open University course teaching health & social care students. Clips from the film have also been used by BBC 1 national news and Channel 4 news.
- Raising awareness of Connor’s death throughout our monthly group meetings.
- Speaking up to ensure Slade House was closed and that Southern Health’s contract in Oxfordshire is not renewed.
- Hosting a Stingray nightclub event in Connor’s memory which raised £570 for the campaign fund.
- Champions speaking at numerous national events and conferences in support of the campaign.
- A short film collating Champion opinions about Connor’s death…
- At least one person from MLMC being at every day of the inquest.
- Placing Connor’s name on the MLMC memorial board.
- Making Connor an MLMC honorary DJ.
- Dedicating our 2014 AGM to Connor.
- Helping to put together the LB Bill, something that has been instrumental in informing the government’s new Care Transformation Plan.
- Writing numerous letters to Chief Executive of Southern Health to express our member’s disgust at Connor’s treatment.